Jason & Kimberly

"Life would not be so hard if we did not expect it to be so easy." C.S. Lewis

Missional Conversation

"Father, let me forget to get cupcake liners and frosting from the store, but let me not forget to be missional wherever I am at." That's my prayer as I write this. Earlier Kimberly asked me to run to the store to pick up cupcake liners and frosting because she forgot them at the store. Granted, she was starting on the cupcakes and didn't feel like moving much because she did a total body workout this week with an instructor who was a Nazi in a previous life (to quote Kimberly). Thankfully Jesus gave me strength to love my wife and go. As I was checking out, I forgot that I was wearing my New City church shirt when the cashier said, "New City church? What is that all about?" To which I replied, "Well, we are a new plant in downtown Macon at the Cox Capitol Theatre." "O.k." She said. "Tell me about it. How does your church differ from my Baptist church?" At this point I got really excited because this is no ordinary question. "We don't focus on religion or a list of do's and don’ts." I said. "We just focus on Jesus and the Bible and reaching people. We're laid back. We have Starbucks serve coffee at 10:00 a.m." "Are you serious?" She said. "You know, that makes sense. Most people don't want to go through the tradition of most churches. I know when I go to church I want to be told what I'm supposed to do. I know what I'm not supposed to do, but I want to hear what I'm supposed to do." At this point she was done checking me out and not wanting to tick the person off behind me I said, "We are online if you want to check us out." "I will", she said. You know, even more than being told what we are supposed to, the gospel, when it is preached, transforms the human heart to see what Jesus has already done. It is by faith we are saved and sanctified and perform good works. Legalism only dusts off the surface of our behavior, but the gospel comes in with a heart transplant. I thought of this as I was leaving and thanking Jesus for His mission.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Hey, that is great! Way to be missional!!

Miss Debbie said...

Love your new look! The picture is great--Kimberly kooks especially beautiful. I'm grateful for the opportunity that God gave you to give "an answer for the hope that is within you" and that you were faithful to respond. I know I miss those moments sometimes and that grieves me. I pray to be more sensitive and aware.Love you guys and miss your great smiles and hugs!!

Graham said...

Did you know Landon Dillard the precious young man who was killed in Colorado? The paper said he played with the "New City Church" band. I thought that was the name of your church (that Miss Debbie had told me). I know you haven't been going there that ong and may not have met him. His family goes to First Evangelical Church. God bless you at your new church home. ~Miss Danna

Jason & Kimberly said...

No, we didn't know him.