Jason & Kimberly

"Life would not be so hard if we did not expect it to be so easy." C.S. Lewis

A Stench of Reality

Have you ever been around someone who forgot to put on deodorant? I'm really speaking to the men here. Guys, have you ever been around someone who forgot, or just refuses, to put on deodorant? It's bad isn't it? To me it's so bad that if said guy isn't apologetic about the smell, I either have to say something or go away, depending on the circumstance. If I'm working with the guy, I say something. If I'm waiting in line behind the guy, I move to the next line or pray one opens up. Well, during my workout at the gym today I smelled really potent body odor. So, as usual, I look around, but there is no one else around the machine I'm using. As I continued with my repetitions I continued to smell the odor, but what I noticed is that it became really strong when I lifted my arm up. Then it dawned on me, I forgot to put deodorant on. Then reality set in and I realized that I was that guy. Then shock set in at how bad I smelled. Then I ceased from doing exercises that involved lifting my arms. The end.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ya know, it's those intimate alone times that God gives us a glimpse into who we are and what we're made of.

And sometimes we have to admit that what we're made of can really stink. Not only are all of our righteous works like filthy rags...they can also smell pretty filthy. Aren't you thankful to be washed in the blood of Jesus?

Now get off the computer and go wash yourself in some irish spring!

Jason & Kimberly said...

I did have this strange thought: "Whoever determined that this smell needed to be covered?" Don't get me wrong, body odor is not a pleasing smell. But, like everything else we use to try to cover up our mortality, it's only temporary. Do I think we need to cover up our body odor? In our culture, absolutely. But, I can't help but wonder what Adam smelled like after a hard day's work before the fall. Not only that, but it makes me wonder what we will experience in our glorified bodies. At the end of the day you can only imagine.